Thursday, January 3, 2013

Back To The Grind

Well, this is it. With the end of the holiday season comes the end of my time away from school. The stretch I am about to begin is the home stretch. The Ocho (a nickname given to my class by one of our professors) and I have four more classes plus one group project standing between us and our diplomas. It is a bit hard to imagine we are so close to finishing. However, before I can even think about finishing, I have to start again. This is proving to be a bit difficult. Even as I write this I should be writing a short paper for my next class, Organizational Communication. It is time to get back to the grind.

Back to the grind. That has such a negative connotation to it. I, for one, do not want to have any kind of grinding taking place any where on my person.


Maybe this is why I am having such a hard time getting going. Perhaps I should flip this old saying on its ear and focus on the positive aspects.

The first image that comes to mind is coffee. You grind coffee beans. What is not to like about coffee. "Coffee smells like freshly ground heaven", Jessi Lane Adams.


Football teams grind out tough yards on the way to the winning touchdown in a hard fought game.


In both of these examples grinding produces something worth while and very desirable; something worth waiting for. In both, pleasant things happen along the way as well. The wonderful aroma released when you grind the coffee beans. The thrill of a big hit or ankle breaking move during that game changing drive.

School is much the same. This degree is definitely worth while, very desirable, and will be well worth the wait. Along the way I have met some wonderful educators and made life long friends. So, with great pleasure it is back to the grind!

Cheers

No comments: