Sunday, February 17, 2008

BUBBLES!!!

This morning I was greeted by the spectacular sight of bubbles in the air lock of my primary fermenter. What does that mean you might ask? Well let me tell ya. It means the magical and mystical process of fermentation has begun. Yeast cells are consuming the sugars in my newly brewed stout, and in turn, excreting glorious alcohol and carbon dioxide. A what a wonderful way to start the day. What could possibly top that?



Why bottling my red ale, of course. After church Nora and I worked together to transfer my ale from my secondary fermenter into my bottling bucket. After which she assisted me by lining up the bottles for me to fill and then placing the caps on top for me to seal. The family that brews together stays together. That is the age old saying, right?

We now have a few new highly anticipated dates.
February 24th: Secondary ferment stout
March 9th: Bottle stout; DRINK RED ALE!!!

If I had done a better job of planning I would have had my Stout ready for Kiernan's Birthday (St. Patrick's Day), but i am just happy my beer-a-thon weekend has been a success. What a great hobby.

Speaking of hobbies...my Mom needs one. Apparently she was kept awake last night by this thought:
You know the diced hard boiled eggs on the salad bar at Ruby Tuesday? Well do they make them at the restaurant themselves, or do they buy them in bags already boiled? Hey Mom, wanna learn to brew?

Cheers

P.S. Do not forget to vote for your name o' faithful readers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tonight we have the first of the candidates for the Blog Family Robinson motto:

1. "From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." --Saint Arnoldus (Patron saint of brewers.)

2. "Beer is proof that God loves us and want us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin

I haven't even plumbed the depths of the other theologians, philosophers and sages, such as Homer Simpson and Norm Peterson.